Do’s and Don’ts on Social Media for Small Businesses
Well thought through and consistent usage of social media can bring in great brand awareness and new business though there are many ways in which not to use channels such as Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook.
Social media is a free marketing tool for small businesses that enables you to reach audiences across the world from B2B to B2C – Globally now most people have access to the internet from just a couple of times a month to each and every hour of the working day.
So what should you be looking to do and not to do whilst using social media for business?
Do’s on Social Media:
- Have a complete profile and consistent branding especially if using more than one social media channel so that people will recognise you and choose to follow you.
- Post regular content to each social media platform you use.
- Engage people with quality content over simply posting for the sake of doing so, spend time to research what you share so it is relevant and engaging.
- Use images and videos where and when you can as these posts will engage people better.
- As and when you can, be unique in the updates you share.
- Study the latest news and trends and be part of them by either your post updates or what you involve yourself with via comments.
- Use social media to network with others by liking and commenting on their content.
- Use hashtags when you can though do not over do it.
- Tell everyone you use social media including icons on your business cards, emails and website.
Do not’s on Social Media:
- Do not spam such as commenting on other peoples posts advertising your business.
- Try not to involve your business account in political / religious conversations / debates unless that is in fact your business theme.
- Do not use bad language and do not attack anyone else via social media as this could lead to legal action against you.
- Do not use third party content and try and pass it off as yours, be also aware of copyrighted content such as when using music soundtracks on videos you share on Youtube.
- Use social media regularly though try not to overload things ie posting every few seconds or minutes as this will clog up other peoples timelines and could lead them to unfollow you or complain.
- Avoid errors such as spelling mistakes.
- Try not to repeat yourself such as posting the same message over and over again.
- Avoid click-baiting and false headlines as this will tell people that you are fake and not worth connecting with.
- Do not get caught up in spending too much time on social media – Set up alerts so you know when someone is engaging with your content.
- Do not use CAPS LOCK to enforce any messages, this is generally not liked by other users.